Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Lemon and Lavender Shortbread Cookies



I've kinda been daydreaming lately.  Hubby and I have been talking about redoing the backyard this year.  We haven't really done much to it since we moved in.  We have a nice lawn and some shrubs on the slope, but I think we're ready to give it a makeover.




So now I'm trying to envision what my dream backyard would look like.  I see beautiful pink roses cascading over an arbor.  I see a row of fragrant purple lavenders and lush green hedges.  I see lemon trees and a planting bed with herbs and tomatoes.  I see twinkle lights, LOTS of twinkle lights, strung across a wooden pergola.  Basically, I'm dreaming of a Lowe's commercial...set in Provence I guess.


Well, I'm not sure if this dream backyard is gonna happen any time soon. Because after consulting with a few people on how much everything's gonna cost, all my hubby saw was money flying out the window.  So we'll have to wait and see.  But in the meantime, all this daydreaming got me thinking of what I could make if I had lemons and lavenders growing in my backyard.


These shortbread cookies are so light and buttery, with just a touch of lemon zest and dried lavender to give them the most beautiful scent.  These will be perfect to serve at a spring or summer party or to give as party favors.  And with Mother's Day just a few days away, a box of these shortbread cookies with a bouquet of flowers will be a great gift for Mom :-)

Lemon and Lavender Shortbread Cookies
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies
Allergy Note: contains wheat and dairy ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tbs. dried lavender
1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
zest from one large lemon
2 tsp. lemon juice
Sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.  In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt and dried lavender. Set aside.  Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar till smooth.  Mix in lemon zest and lemon juice. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Use a cookie scoop to portion out the cookie dough, about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Gently press down on each cookie and lightly sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. Cool completely before serving.

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...