Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


I can't believe I'm saying this...but I think I'm starting to warm up to pumpkin.  Well, just a little.  I'm still steering clear of pumpkin pie.  I've tried it a few times over the years and even with a mountain of whipped cream, I just don't enjoy it.  I'm sorry.  I just can't.  It's not you, it's me.  Something about it's texture and taste just doesn't make me happy.  BUT I'm not dismissing pumpkin entirely.  I did try to make pumpkin spice cupcakes before and they were deeeeelicious!  So I'm gonna give pumpkin another try.  This time, I made cookies!


I found a recipe for pumpkin cookies and decided to use it as a starting point to make a vegan and allergy-friendly version for my kids.  The recipe was on the back of an activity booklet my son brought home from a field trip to the pumpkin patch.  I did some minor adjustments to the main components of the cookie dough, like replacing the eggs with a mashed banana and leaving out the glaze, and since my kids love chocolate, I substituted the raisins and nuts with chocolate chips.

These pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are soft and cake-like, which I normally don't prefer but in this case it works.  And my kids absolutely loved them so I'm not complaining :-)

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies 
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Allergy Note: contains wheat ingredients

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (I like using Enjoy Life Brand Mega Chunks)

Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.  Line four baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.

In a mixing bowl, cream together shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, mashed banana and lemon juice. Mix in pumpkin puree and vanilla extract until combined.  Add in dry ingredients and chocolate chips.  Using a cookie scoop, drop the cookies about 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.

Please note: I am not a paid endorser nor did I accept any free samples of the brands or products mentioned in this post.  I purchased these items myself and wanted to mention them by name because I used them and genuinely liked time :-) 


1 comment:

cookingwithsapana said...

Cookies looks wonderful and vegan too....

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...